Sunday, February 28, 2010

MTC


Well I was a little late for Church today. Even though I am an adult, being out the door by 8:50 a.m. is still a bit of a chore for me. It was 8:45 and my hair was still a mess, so instead of giving myself a panic attack and catching a ride with my neighbors as usual, I decided to take a deep breath, make myself presentable, and walk to Church instead. I love to walk to Church, as long as I don't wear heels of course. (Yeah I had to change my whole outfit.) If I plan ahead it isn't a problem, but since it takes about 15 minutes, I was late and missed Sacrament! I hate missing Sacrament! It is like the most important thing. Oh vanity. Really though, my hair was a wreck. I'm not 18 anymore I can no longer get away with waltzing around with the hair I woke up with.

I did catch all the talks at least, and they were really good ones today. One 13 year old pointed out that the word DISCIPLINE is related to the word DISCIPLE, something I had never thought about. From my previous paragraph, it is perhaps needless to point out that I am not the most disciplined of people. I'm working on it.

Sadly...I noticed on the program that I missed our opening hymn, "Called to Serve." I was so disappointed I missed it! Then I was a little relieved because it makes me cry when we sing it as a congregation, which is awkward to say the least. When your boyfriend is on his mission the song elicits a stronger response than perhaps usual. Especially since it always brings back the mix of emotions I felt when we sang it at the MTC (proud, yet devistated) when we dropped Chris off. Holy cow. That song might make me cry even after Chris comes home.


Oh boy, the MTC. What a disaster. I was very lucky that Chris' parents invited me to fly to Utah with them to take Chris to the MTC. It is one of the nicest things I have heard of a missionary's parents doing for the girlfriend. It meant so much to me to be part of that experience with them all.

It was hard those last three days after Chris was set apart. I hate to fly, but fortunately I was so depressed Chris was leaving that I didn't do too bad on the flight there. The flight back was terrible, but Theresa (Chris' mom) let me pour my heart out the whole time, haha. When I am nervous, boy am I a talker.

It was my first time to Utah, and I was eager to see what it was all about. It was fun to sight see, check out BYU and go to Temple square. I also got to meet Chris' brother and his wife, (hi Carly!) even though I mostly sulked in my seat the whole time and stared at Chris like a lost puppy. haha!

It is so funny looking back at all the pictures. Chris couldn't even touch me so I look very miserable, he has his hands in his pockets and mine are awkwardly at my side, folded across my chest (yes, I so went there) or, around his mom or sister Sarah. Sometimes Chris and I would both hug his mom, since we couldn't hug each other, haha.

It was a fun trip, minus knowing it was my last time to spend with Chris. He was really focused on leaving on his mission, and I was a little hurt by how excited he was. I was proud that he was ready to go, but I also knew the reality of us being apart would hit him later, which it did. So I did my best, I think I did okay.

The pictures at the MTC are so hilarious. I love the ones just of Chris, wow he looks fantastic in a suit!

I hate the ones of me, even the ones of both of us. We are standing so awkwardly next to each other, like we are a bored brother and sister. My face is as white as a sheet, and my eyes and nose were so red. You can even see the dark bags under my eyes! Terrible!



I am glad they still allowed "family" to come inside the MTC at this time, though I really don't remember much of it. I cried so hard I couldn't even breath...it was so surreal when it was time for Chris to leave after he hugged everyone else good bye. I couldn't even look at him. Then his mom, God Bless Theresa's soul, whispered "Chris! Just give her a quick little hug." Oh my, what a tender mercy as Chris' Dad, Doug, would say. He hugged me a little sheepishly and I guess we said good bye. I can't remember. And that was the last time we saw each other, almost exactly 15 months ago.

3 comments:

  1. I hate the ones of me that day too!!!!! Homecoming ones are going to be 100x better! This post was so fun to read! 9 months, You're getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I got a shout out!!
    haha I cried during the closing song last sunday...hmm im gunna blog about our talks in church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow you are so close to the end! my friend still has over a year left. this post made me sad and miss all my guy friend missionaries:(

    ReplyDelete